Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:04:39 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

Nate Williams wrote:

> FreeBSD (and the rest of the *BSDs) are more than just bits of software.
> They are also giving people a choice, and at this point in time the
> choice happens to be a much more robust piece of software.  But, I still
> believe the choice of licensing is *AS* important as the functionality
> in the system.  (And, they certainly aren't in conflict with each
> other.)

If we continue to migrate important parts of FreeBSD to licenses more
restrictive than the BSD license, we may find ourselves losing embedded
design wins to other BSD systems.  If that's what the FreeBSD user base
wants, so be it, but I suspect it is at odds with the wants and needs
of Whistle, Nokia, Apple (maybe), and BSDi (in particular).

> That's one of the main reasons I did the BSD thing when Linux was at
> 0.11.

One.  Functionality was way up there, too.  ;^)