Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 23:55:34 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS settings

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 05:40:26PM -0500, NDPTAL85 wrote:
> I have 4 boxes on my home network. A WinXP box, a Mac OS X box, Mandrake
> Linux workstation and a FreeBSD workstation. Earthlink is my ISP and
> they have 3 DNS servers. I want to set my Linux and FreeBSD boxes up as
> local DNS servers so I figured I would just add their IPs to the list of
> nameservers bringing that up to a total of 5 nameservers that OS X or XP
> could resolve to. Then someone told me most resolvers only check the
> first 3 entries anyway. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks.

I believe that 3 is the maximum, yes.
Mmm, this is a bit overkill, may I make a suggestion ?
Have one local DNS server that can be set up for your local
machines and as a cache for name service resolution.
In the local name server configuration set your ISP nameserver(s)
as forwarders. Set your resolver to look at the local nameserver.

Your local name server will resolve requests for your local hosts,
and "non-authoritatively" for any in it's cache. Otherwise it will
forward the request to the ISP name servers for the answer.
When the answer comes back it will cache it and subsequent enquiries
for the same resolution will be much quicker.

It's what I do anyway, and it works well.

--
Regards
Cliff