Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:36:51 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Kostas Magoutis <magoutis@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logical device instances

In message <200102280634.f1S6Ygq03513@wally.eecs.harvard.edu> Kostas Magoutis writes:
: The minor number is still pretty static, isn't it?  I can multiplex a
: single physical device but I can't create dynamic instances of it,
: e.g., the files corresponding to the vnode/devnode of the device.

You can create all the dev nodes that you want.  It is a simple
mknod().  Also, you can encode the physical minor such that each one
can have multiple logical minors.  There's 24 bits of minor number to
play with.

In current with DEVFS you can instruct your driver to create new
device nodes and they will appear in the tree.

Warner