Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 15:38:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
To:        Stephen Waits <swaits@pr.erau.edu>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem (results)

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Stephen Waits wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Steve Passe wrote:
>
> > i have a suprafax 14.4 modem, i'll NEVER buy another supra product.
> > it works ok, my beef is with their service.  it had a lightning
> > strike (or other electrical disturbance) that took out the microfuse
> > inside it.  i opened it up, identified the problem, removed the part,
> > called them with a part number.  they refused to send me a
>
> Frankly, I wouldn't blame Supra one bit for this.  First of all, your
> modem had lightning damage.  Warranties usually do NOT cover natural
> disaster, etc.  Second, you opened up the unit.  Regardless of you
> knowledge, it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

I didn't get the impression from Steve that he wanted the part for free,
merely that he wanted them to freaking sell it to him. I'd bet $50 he'd
rather paid them a few bucks to buy what he knew was the right part
(since their service department must have had them) rather than drive all
over town looking for it. If he sent them the entire modem, they'da have
had to open it up, replace the fuse, pack it up, mail it back. He asked
them to eliminate the first two steps, they couldn't be bothered to
deviate from their little prefabricated repair habitrail.

And just to deal with your other claim, I find that most companies in the
popular market will just eat this kind of repair cost beacuse it's a pain
to process the charge and it's worth 10x the cost in good word of mouth.
I bet if you deliberately sent one of your modems back with a bad fuse,
they'd fix it for free, regardless of the cause. They'd rather have your
unconditional love (in a market where brand loyalty is far between) than
your $10.

> Oh yah, we have adequate
> lightning protection on our modems.

Ooh, harsh....