Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:42:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Miniport fxp0 on Inspiron 8000 and APM

I have an i8000 with an fxp miniport card in it, and if I have the driver
loaded when I suspend the computer I get lots of 'fxp0: DMA timeout' and 'fxp0:
SCB timeout' on resume.

If I compile without fxp and suspend everything works fine, but if the driver
is loaded or compiled in the computer hangs printing a bazillion timeout
messages from fxp.

Interestingly if I boot the computer (no fxp compiled in) and load the fxp
driver it work (as you would expect). If I suspend the computer and then load
it the attach message is bogus, it says..

fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0xecc0-0xecff mem
0xf8e00000-0xf8efffff,0xf8fff000-0xf8ffffff irq 11 at device 4.0 on pci8
fxp0: Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, 10Mbps

A 'normal' load looks like..
fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0xecc0-0xecff mem
0xf8e00000-0xf8efffff,0xf8fff000-0xf8ffffff irq 11 at device 4.0 on pci8
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:20:e0:65:13:1d

I don't know why it would do that.. The EEPROM isn't readable for some reason
maybe? A kldload after suspend also causes the timeout errors.

When I am doing all this I have apmd loaded and have done 'apm -e 1' by hand.
[chowder 11:37] ~/work/ros > apm
APM version: 1.2
APM Managment: Enabled
AC Line status: on-line
Battery status: charging
Remaining battery life: 100%
Remaining battery time:  5:45:00
Number of batteries: 2
Battery 0:
        Battery status: not present
Battery 1:
        Battery status: charging
        Remaining battery life: 100%
        Remaining battery time:  5:45:00
Resume timer: disabled
Resume on ring indicator: disabled
APM Capacities:
        global suspend state
        resume timer from suspend

Also, when I do 'apm -d 0' it turns the display off, and the only way to get it
back is to do 'apm -d 1' blind :) - By my reading of the manual this is not
what is supposed to do.

apm -Z causes 'Entire system suspend failure : errcode = 10' - I assume that is
because there is no suspend APM capability.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum