Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 23:53:15 GMT
From:      fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk (James Raynard)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New section: development

In message <22881.840135964@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > Perhaps we should have a separate section for this kind of thing - how
> > about "Religion and Politics" (the first piece of advice in every
> > ettiquette book used to be "never discuss religion or politics at
> > dinner")?
>
> I don't have any trouble with a "things your mother never told you
> about" section per-se, but I'd have to insist that everything in it be
> *very carefully worded* to exhibit a total lack of bias.

Absolutely.  (This is one of the reasons why I've not been in any great
hurry to post it for discussion).

> Imagine
> you're a (good) documentary filmmaker doing a piece on neo-NAZI
> skinheads - some of what you're filming may be personally distasteful
> but it's not your job to judge it, simply to portray it accurately.

Rather a strange analogy (I didn't realise our relations with the Linux
camp were quite that bad :-) but I've certainly tried very hard to be
objective and to be fair to all sides.  The emphasis is very much on
clearing up common misconceptions about FreeBSD, *not* on providing
ammo to re-kindle old flame wars (or start new ones).

--
James Raynard