Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 00:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: xten stole my uid!

> >From back in the 386BSD 0.1 days, I've used uid 100 for my personal account.
> Now the default master.passwd allocates this to xten.  The new policy seems
> to be to allocate user accounts in the 1000+ range, but targeting uid 100
> when there are only 12 entries in master.passwd seems a tad vindictive!

But if you look at the max value (sans nobody who is always -1) it
is 267.  Unix vendors have long been using uid's below 500 for specific
things and normal folks should try to avoid them (I do on all the
systems I administer and have been for avoiding them for a long long
time (8 years seems about when I started using 500 and above, before
that it was 100 and above)).

Some of these uid's are well known values, but expect for the 2.2
release to them all to be renumber, we have been carrying some of
that baggage for too long IMHO.

Sorry.. it happens... :-(