Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 15:25:24 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Vlad <tmd@tmd.df.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PANIC?! what is that?

Vlad (tmd@tmd.df.ru) wrote:

> Feb  3 15:43:55 tmd /kernel: panic: malloc: lost data
> Feb  3 15:43:55 tmd /kernel:
> Feb  3 15:43:55 tmd /kernel: syncing disks... 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46
> Feb  3 15:43:55 tmd /kernel: giving up on 39 buffers
> Feb  3 15:43:55 tmd /kernel: Uptime: 5d12h42m25s
> Feb  3 15:43:55 tmd /kernel: Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
> Feb  3 15:43:55 tmd /kernel: Rebooting...
>
> would anyone please explain to me why did this happen?

I'm not sure if this is the 'best' definition, but a panic is an
unrecoverable error which occurs in the kernel. Since the system
can't recover, it 'panics' and shuts down as gracefully as possible.

Speaking as someone who has never seen a FreeBSD kernel panic, I
would consider it a *bad thing*, probably the result of a misconfigured
custom kernel or a hardware problem.

I am no expert in these matters, but malloc is a standard C library call
which allocates memory, so I would focus on memory management issues:
bad RAM, a failing swap drive, etc.

Is it possible to write C code (delibarately or otherwise) that
would cause a kernel panic?

But please do not take this advice, I merely hazard a guess in the hopes
that someone will correct me and I will learn something valuable.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com