Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 21:14:56 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "Dennis Nowlin" <DNOWLIN@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SMP Kernel

	Let's see if I can help, since I've got the SMP boxes laying around here...

	BTW, it's not considered a good practice to send HTMLized e-mail to the
list.
If you need help configuring Outlook Express, please let me know and I'll be
glad to help you out.

	Okay, you make no mention of the hardware that you're working with.  Some
machines (as exemplified by my Compaq ProLiant 1500) require a little
tweaking to get things to work correctly.  Compaq also uses a different ASIC
setup than other companies out there, and requires to you configure the BIOS
to a specific operating system which will allow the ASIC to work properly
with that OS and thereby allow you to utilize the other processor.

	What have you been doing as far as trying to configure the kernel for SMP
usage?  Have you recompiled the kernel?  That will be required, in any case,
to create an SMP kernel for your machine.  Also, can you verify via dmesg
that you do not currently have the other processor being utilized?

	A little more help and we'd be on the way to helping you out, Dennis.

	Thanks,

--- Andy