Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:09:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        gnudev@ozemail.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software on FreeBSD

James Buchanan wrote:

> Hi

Hi James,

> For a little while I've been using Linux only, instead of Windows. I've been
> doing my Bach in computer science degree working on Windows, so unfortunately

> my
> skills in UNIX are a little rusty.

Ok, but it sounds that you have a basic knowledge about what is going on.

> I was wondering if FreeBSD has an installer program that can detect hardware.

Hmm, yes and no. Yes, all hardware for which support is compiled into the
kernel will be automagicly "detected". For the rest you have to recompile the
kernel - a task considered normal under FreeBSD and _much_ easier then under
Linux.

> Also, does FreeBSD come with the tools that Linux distributions do, for
> example:
> GCC (C, C++, Java, Fortran), glibc, libstdc++, libpthreads, autoconf,
> automake,
> make, sed, awk, perl, bash, texinfo, lout, latex, ghostscript, ghostview,
> flex,
> bison, and other GNU tools?

Yes, there are these tools. The gcc is (different from other postings) the
standard compiler under FreeBSD. All the other tools can be installed via the
package and/or port collection. (What is that? Well, read the handbook under
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook .)

> Is there an easy to use setup program for X?

The same as for all platforms provided by the XFree project called XF86Setup
and something like config (the old and hard to use version for newbies). Both
can be started by the FreeBSD installation program at installtion time or later
from /stand/sysinstall.

> What desktops come with FreeBSD, like Gnome or KDE?

None and both. FreeBSD has no desktop of choice, you have to choose your own -
and both are supported for that. You can also choose that via /stand/sysinstall
or manualy (then you have to figure it out for yourself).

> I'm a little worried about changing OSes since UNIX especially seems to be
> pretty hard to use (I mean, for me non-logical names for things, like TTYs.
An
> ancient UNIX hang over).

Hmm, that is true for every OS. Can you tell me for what krnl386.exe and
regsrv32.exe under windows NT are for? Is their name "logical"?
Every OS comand set can be compared to a language. You have to learn it and
then maybe love it. And yes, there is a nifty tool out their called "webmin"
with an easy to use web-interface which you can use under FreeBSD to get out of
the way for all that old-school stuff.

> Is FreeBSD at least as user-friendly as a good Linux distribution like
RedHat?

Define userfriendly. Maybe you want to read up about that at
www.userfriendly.org . *grin* If you understand what the jokes means you want
to use FreeBSD :)

> Does the manual in the boxed sets tell how to setup a modem and make a dialup
> connection to an ISP, and how to connect and disconnect?

Hmm, never used the boxed once. Downloaded the ISO images in the begining and
after that only the floppies to install FreeBSD.

> Lastly, since FreeBSD seems to be internet oriented, it has mail programs and

> browser right? Oh, and emacs?

It has more than 200 email-related programs and over 100 web-related programs.
Which emacs do you want? Emacs or Xemacs? And yes, some vi versions are also
included :)

> Sorry for the very low level questions. But I really can't afford to spend
the
> money until I know what I'm doing and I can work on FreeBSD.

Take a look at the handbook, read about installing FreeBSD with floppies, do it
- and if you like it support the project via buying a boxed set (assuming that
you have not to pay much for internet connections / traffic).

> Thanks guys. :)
>
> James

You are welcome

Marc