Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Bill <ankzt@maine.60north.net>
Subject:   Re: cvsup rel16 core dumps/HELP

Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> after making cvsup REL16 Ive found that it core dumps when run from
>> xterm & rxvt, but works from a virt console. Heres the exact error, maybe
>> somone out there could assist?
>>

>> bash# cvsup stablecvs
>>

>> ***
>> *** runtime error:
>> ***    Segmentation violation - possible attempt to dereference NIL
>> ***    pc = 0x16a038 = Cat + 0x18 in ../src/text/Text.m3
>> ***
>>
>> Abort trap (core dumped)
>> bash#
>
> You'd probably get the best response for this sort of report if you CC'd
> cvsup's author, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>. I've copied this to him,
> I don't know if he follows -questions.

No I don't -- thanks for forwarding this.  For future reference, the
best place to report CVSup problems is <cvsup-bugs@polstra.com>.

I've had reports of this problem before, but I can't remember the
exact details of what the problem ended up being.  However, whenever
it fails with the GUI but works in command-line mode, it always turns
out to be a problem in the user's DNS setup.  Please run the following
tests on your system, and send me the results.  Maybe then I can fix
CVSup to handle the situation or at least fail with a decent error
message.

1. Type the command

    hostname

and tell me what it prints out.

2. Type the command

    myhost `hostname`

Notice that those quotes are backticks -- the ones way up in the
northwest corner of your keyboard.  Tell me what the command prints
out.  The output should include one or more lines similar to this:

    myhost.example.com has address 192.168.111.222

Assuming it does ...

3. For each "has address" line, type:

    host 192.168.111.222

filling in the actual address from step 2 instead of "192.168.111.222".
Tell me what you get.  In each case, the output should look like:

    222.111.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer myhost.example.com

with "myhost.example.com" replaced by whatever you got in step 1.

My bet is that in step 2 or 3, you won't get the kind of output I said
you should get.  That means your DNS setup is screwy or non-existent.
The best thing to do is to fix that, possibly with the help of your
ISP.  That is probably the only fix that will work if you have a
dynamically-assigned IP address (different each time you connect to
your ISP).

However, here's a work-around that will probably do the trick if you
have a static IP address:

1. Edit "/etc/host.conf" and make sure the "hosts" line comes first.
Move the line to the front of the file if necessary.

2. Edit "/etc/hosts".  Insert a line at the front of the file:

    192.168.111.222     myhost.example.com myhost

replacing the first field with your real IP address, the second field
with your fully-qualified domain name (the output of the "hostname"
command), and the third field with just the first part of that.

Then the GUI should work.

Again, please let me know the details of what you find out so I can
fix the software to handle it better.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron