Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:23:00 -0700
From:      "Gudknecht, Joel" <Joel.Gudknecht@Honeywell.com>
To:        doug@polands.org, jim@nasby.net
Cc:        bear@unix.homeip.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KVM recomendations needed

I would highly recommend avoiding Belkin like the plague for some (and more)
of the reasons Doug talks about. They don't seem to have the proper
emulation down yet. Look into Cybex or PowerReach.

Joel
On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:46:13PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> I've always had good luck with Belkin KVM's, except that the windows
drivers
> for most mice with extra buttons and what not tend not to like having the
> mouse go through the KVM. I've neven had X on a FBSD system on a kvm, so I
> don't know if it would have any issues. I can't remember if moused had any
> problems.

I've had some problems with 4 port OmniVision Belkins.  On two occassions
the switch stopped sending keyboard input to the four servers (3 NT, 1
Linux).
The only way to get keyboard input to the NT boxes was plug an actual
keyboard
in.  Ultimately I had to restart each server with the Belkin set on that
port
in order for the server and Belkin (and/or Windoze) to recognize each other.
Can you say very angry that I have to reboot servers in order to reset a
belkin?

--
Regards,
Doug