Date:      Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:17:35 +0100
From:      lars <lars@gmx.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS Server with freebsd

Ian Lord wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup a cvs server for our internal development...
>
> I may be blind, but I didn't find any ports for this in the ports
> tree... Do I need to compile it from the source or is there an easier
> way (port)
>
> I saw a pserver wrapper for cvs ( port = cvsd) in the port but not the
> actual cvs server
You don't need to "install" a CVS server, or port for that matter.

I advise you to go to cvshome.org to read the documentation on how to set up
a source code repository with CVS.

I also recommend not to use pserver if you can avoid it.

You can authenticate all CVS users via local accounts and SSH.

With two environmant variables
CVS_ROOT=...
CVS_RSH=...
the users then make their local CVS clients use SSH to authenticate with the
CVS server and transmit their commits enrypted.

In this way you don't need a CVS daemon running on the server.

Kind regards
Lars