Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2000 08:52:10 +1030
From:      "james" <wabit@adl.ussr.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Assistance please! - with mounting the room partition

Howdy,

My old Hdd controller died, so I replaced it with a udma one..... which =
has changed the drive from ad0 to ad4, after much stuffing around, I =
added ata-2 to the kernel,a nd recompiled, and have also added ad4 and =
ad5 to /dev - but I still get the following error on boot up;

ad4:14594MB <ST513320A> [29691/16/63] at ata2-MASTER using DMA66
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
swapon /dev/ad4s1b: No such file or directory
Automatic boot in progress
Can't stat /dev/ad4s1a: No such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/ad4s1a: No such file or directory
/dev/ad4s1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/ad4s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTANCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

The dead controller is totally disabled in the motherboard bios....=20

The udma controller is a highpoint/hightech one... I have plugged the =
drive into other machines, where it identified as ad0, and boots =
normally (thats how I built the new kernel, and added /dev entries)

the fstab points to ad4 for the mount points also... and I have searched =
the mailist list archive - thats how I found out that I should build =
ata2 ata3 into the kernel (and thats all I could find about my problem)

Any help that anyone could provide would be gratefully received!

(merry xmas, and drive safely)

regards
james

God gave us War, Famine, and Pestilance.... and then she gave us =
politicans to make sure no one missed out
-- Anonymous.=20