Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:42:52 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for Features: Ports Re-engineering

--Sig_/1DkFpEV+ij5d1SaGxf9HYB3

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:49:45 -0500
Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:42 -0300, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 07:48:07 -0600
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu> wrote:
> >=20
> <snip>
>=20
> >=20
> > > On the other hand some ports really need to be built from a clean=20
> > > system.  Some of them autodetect ports that are already installed, an=
d=20
> > > then change options appropriately.  (Maybe some of the multimedia por=
ts=20
> > > like vlc do this.)  My guess is that this is to some extent unavoidab=
le=20
> > > because the "configure" script in the port build process probably doe=
s=20
> > > this as well.  Anyway, perhaps this autodetecting of ports to provide=
=20
> > > options needs to be built into the system in a systematic manner.  Th=
en=20
> > > robotic package builders could be trained to glean this information f=
rom=20
> > > the build tree (what you refer to as the DAG - is that "directed=20
> > > something graph"?).
> > >=20
> >=20
> > Auto-detection is certainly avoidable. Some for example only enable
> > detection of MMX/SSE/etc instructions when not building in
> > pointyhat/tinderbox. IIRC ports should respect the users' choice, but
> > it's not easy with the current OPTIONS handling (some have knobs that
> > can be set to on/off/auto).
> >=20
>=20
> I think he's referring to configure scripts which will build additional
> functionality and link against additional libs if they are already
> installed.  These are a major pain and at least for me caused a fair
> amount of random breakage after updating ports.  I've since moved to
> using a tinderbox to build all my packages and point my systems to that
> PACKAGESITE.
>=20

I personally enable/disable manually (or set the default dependencies
for) these configure options which autodetect by default (for the ports
I make). And I was referring to ports which force autodetection but
record the dependencies. I'm sure there could be some of these you
mentioned in my system, but as I haven't run pkg_cutleaves or similar
for a while, and didn't have such problems with upgrades, I haven't
noticed.

This is actually the responsibility of the maintainer, but a check with
'ldd' could be added (there was a discussion about this, and I'm going
to read it again, but IIRC dynamically loaded libraries can't be
identified this way).

Best Regards,
Ale