Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:39:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to get pine-pgp-filters and pinentry-curses to work together

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I installed mail/pine and security/gnupg from ports. While trying to use
> gnupg, whenever it needed to ask me for the passphrase, I ran into errors
> such as the below:
>
> gpg-agent[86284]: can't connect server: `ERR 67109133 can't exec
> `/usr/local/bin/pinentry': No such file or directory'

The pkg-message for gnupg clearly says that you need to have a pinentry
program. Glad you figured that bit out.

> --8<-- Two questions here:
>
> 1) Why isn't security/pinentry pulled in as a dependency of security/gnupg?
> Shouldn't that have been the "obvious" thing to do? Or is it possible to
> bypass pinentry somehow?

There are 4 different versions of pinentry, trying to determine what
should be the default would be difficult at best.

> 2) If I do a "make install" in security/pinentry, it straight away moves onto
> compiling Qt etc (as dependencies for security/pinentry-qt I suppose).
> Shouldn't it rather ask me what I want and then accordingly install one of
> the pinentry-* ports?

If you want pinentry-curses, that's the port you should use.

> Later, I installed pine-pgp-filters.

Always glad to have a new user, but you might have thought to cc this
message to the author/maintainer of that port. :)

> Now, whenever I send a mail and want to sign/ encrypt it and gnupg has
> to ask me for the passphrase, it messes my screen up! I get error
> messages like these:

Based on what Pine gives me to work with, I don't see any way that I could
pass control of the terminal to a third application. I use gnupg2 with the
gtk pinentry program with pine and the filters just fine, but if you can't
do X, then ...

> For now the only workaround I've come up with is to install security/gnupg1.
> That does not require pinentry and so it works well with pine-pgp-filters.

I think that's your only option.

hope this helps,

Doug