Date:      Mon, 31 May 2004 20:16:58 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP: I ran /stand/sysinstall...upgrade(100 % completed) But nothing happened..

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 11:11:28AM -0700, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:

>   I'm currently using freebsd 4.9 and I've wanted to
> upgrade to freebsd 4.10. What I did was I've followed
> the instructions on the site which says that the most
> convinient way is to use the /stand/sysinstall utility
> and choose the Upgrade from the list... when I'm on
> it... I've chosen to download from the ftp.freebsd.org
> then I selected minimal upgrade since I've already an
> upgraded version of XFree86.... And I also unchecked
> the crypto option... to make sure that i'm installing
> the least possible packages size..=20

Hmmm... You need to read those instructions carefully.  The
/stand/sysinstall upgrade route sounds very appealing to the
uninitiated, but actually you tend to get better results by using
cvsup(1) to pull down the appropriate set of source code, and doing
the whole 'make world' cycle yourself.  There's several more stages to
that procedure, but it's mostly along the lines of "type this command,
and then go away and have a hot beverage of your choice while the
machine does a load of stuff".  Full instructions are at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

The really, really good thing about the 'make world' procedure is that
if it goes wrong in most of the stages then there's no lasting harm
done: even if you've got as far as the stage of installing a new
kernel which you find doesn't work, you can still back it out without
too much trouble and try again.
=20
> Question: Have I done the right thing when upgrading
> from 4.9 to 4.10. or I've just downloaded 40 mb worth
> of unworthy files??=20

Nope.  The /stand/sysinstall procedure certainly should work.  The
files you've downloaded are the same as went onto the 4.10-RELEASE CDs.
=20
> Cause I cannot see my system booting in Freebsd
> version 4.10... still says freebsd 4.9...=20
> It also add something like.. cant load kernel..
> booting old...

It looks to me as if you have a (mostly) 4.10 userland installed, but
the 4.10 kernel you're trying to boot from has been trashed. (So the
system boots up using /kernel.old, which is the 4.9 kernel you were
using before). There's plenty of ways you could have ended up with a
corrupted kernel image -- did you perhaps run out of space in your
root partition?

Whatever, you've got a 80% updated system. and your next course of
action has to be to try and get an uncorrupted copy of the 4.10 kernel
installed as /kernel.  You can copy the kernel image from any of the
installation CD images, or you can build your own from the system
sources:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-=
building.html

although you will need to be familiar with the chflags(1) command and
you should boot into single user mode first if you usually run using a
raised securelevel.  More info here:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-=
trouble.html#KERNELCONFIG-NOBOOT

Having a mis-match between the kernel and the userland versions is not
a good thing, but it usually isn't disastrous if the versions aren't
too far apart.  Various programs that access kernel data -- like ps(1)
and top(1) -- probably won't work but you should be able to live
without them long enough to get everything back in synch again.
=20
> If I'm on the right track,, Is there any command that
> I can type to be able to test it?

Hmmm... it's a bit more involved than a single command to sort this
type of problem out.  But it is eminently fixable and it shouldn't
require you to have to do anything regrettable, like a complete
re-install from scratch.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20