Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:56:47 -0400
From:      Pete Vanderburgh <peterv@vma.verio.net>
To:        "Brett G. Castleberry" <bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Diary - how to guides

--------------F762400D69846AB801D21105

"Brett G. Castleberry" wrote:

> How much is too much?  Most of what I'm seeing on FreeBSD/ Questions is over
> my head and almost discouraging.

Agreed!

> I've been a bookman all my life, a
> pressman, a bookseller, and for the last ten years, a librarian.  When I
> returned to school for a masters degree a couple of years ago, my program
> was called "Library Science".  Now it's called "Information Studies", and IT
> students (along with their tuition fees) are pouring in, at this point
> outnumbering LS students.  Those of us who are dedicated to providing public
> access to useful information are scrambling to learn how to find and use
> digital resources.  In addition, as I've become acquainted with unix I have
> realized that our own library automation system operates on top of unix.

I am curious about what you mean exactly by 'on top of UNIX'.  I too, am
*quite* the newbie in regard to UNIX and FreeBSD.

I'm also curious to hear more, as I myself was a librarian; not professionally,
but in college.  From 1988-1993 I learned a wide variety of electronic
resources used for reference and cataloguing (we had these new-fangled
"CD-ROM"s.  Oooh!).

And then, I graduated, just as the internet, in it's 'mainstream' form began to
emerge.  Very frustrating!

> So, I want FreeBSD to play and learn with.  Perhaps I can connect  my
> FreeBSD 486 to my Win98 box and learn about networking too.  I sense in your
> free OS project a spirit akin to that of the public librarian, and I salute
> you.

That's how I understand it to.  Freedom of information!

> Brett Castleberry
> bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu

=====================================
Pete Vanderburgh
Verio Web Hosting, Vienna, VA.
(703)749-7955 x1306
peterv@verio.net
=====================================

"Brett G. Castleberry" wrote:
on FreeBSD/ Questions is over

When I
and IT
public
use
unix I have
unix.</blockquote>

I too, am *quite* the newbie in regard to UNIX and FreeBSD.
but in college.&nbsp; From 1988-1993 I&nbsp;learned a wide variety of electronic
resources used for reference and cataloguing (we had these new-fangled
"CD-ROM"s.&nbsp; Oooh!).
form began to emerge.&nbsp; Very frustrating!
my
sense in your
I salute

<pre>--&nbsp;