Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:14:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        John J Friel III <jfriel3@usa1.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, John J Friel III wrote:

> I'm confused.  I want to download the Free BSD operating system to my
> PC.  I want to make a set of floppies for later installation and I'm not
> sure how to do this.  The floppies directory want to make disk images.
> How do I get these to my floppies, simply copy them, or is there a
> utility I need to put these images on a diskette.
> Alternatively, do I simply copy all the files in the BIN directory.  If
> so, which of these files go on whicih disk and what program to I need to
> run to install them.

floppies/ contains floppy images.  You need to use the DOS utility
'rawrite.exe' or the unix dd command to copy these to a diskette.

The bin files: just copy straight to DOS formatted floppies.  Make sure
you create a bin\ dir on each disk and put the files in there.  Make sure
bin.inf is on the first disk too.  Just cram on as many as will fit.

> I have a passing familiariy with UNIX from several years ago.  I've been
> in a pure DOS/Windows environment form about 6 yeras now, so please be
> gently with me and let me know EXACTLY what I need to do in order to get
> these files set up correctly for a diekette installation.

Disk install is somewhat tricky.  The trick is to put the .inf file of the
NEXT distribution on the LAST disk of the PREVIOUS distribution.  The
order is given in one of the menu items, or by trial and error.  Also,
once you get bin on, you can load the rest on later using a command like

cat file.* | tar xzf -

Replace the 'x' with a 't' to find out where the files are going, and
set the current directory accordingly before extracting with 'x'.

Also note that the archive files can be copied directly from a primary DOS
partition, and you can fetch the files directly via FTP or NFS if this
workstation has a network connection.  The INSTALL.TXT file in the release
directory and http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html has full
details.