Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:02:39 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Build times (was Re: The -stable problem: my view)

> A full build on a lightly-loaded P166 now requires nearly three hours,
> and that's too long for a SUP which only changes two files!

If you are familiar with the build process, then you *don't* have to run
a 'make world' everytime.  Someone as familiar with system builds should
be able to figure out the effects of changed files, but unfortunately
this means you need to baby-sit the SUP update files to determine what
changed instead of simplying firing off a make world after every update.

I *never* run a make world, and rarely even run a global make, but when
things do change I will do the necessary individual steps in a make
world to bring my system back into 'make world' status.

Nate