Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:41:44 +0530
From:      Jack <jacks.1785@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppoe configuration and dns name resolution

Hi,

 Thank you guys for your suggestions, and sharing your
 experiences with me.

 This time I deleted old /var/log/ppp.log file, and
 I did modify /etc/ppp/ppp.conf - just the location
 of ifaddr line is changed and some more logging
 options set -nothing else is changed.
 .

 The file is this now:

 /etc/ppp/ppp.conf :

 default:

 adsl:
 set log Phase chat lcp ipcp ccp tun command lqm

 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0  10.0.0.2/0  255.255.255.0  0.0.0.0

  set device PPPoE:fxp0
  set mru 1492
  set mtu 1492
  set ctsrts off
  set speed sync
  set dial

  enable lqr

  set login
  set authname <myusername>
  set authkey <mypassword>
  set timeout 120
  set redial 0 0

# set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 # now this interface is set up at 2nd line in adsl profile

 add default HISADDR
  enable dns

  nat enable no

Then I rebooted FreeBSD, in verbose mode enabled.

 After it booted,  I started ppp like this:

 #ppp -ddial adsl

 Here is the shell o/p along with verbose lines

 /usr/sbin/ppp -ddial adsl

 Working in ddial mode
 Using interface: tun0

  ;verbose lines
 tun0: buf attached
 WARNING: attempt to domain_add(netgraph) after domainfinalize()

 The output of ifconfig is:

 fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         options=2009<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,WOL_MAGIC>
         ether 00:16:d3:0c:42:22
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
         status: active
 fwe0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         options=8<VLAN_MTU>
         ether 06:e4:0a:1b:50:36
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
         ch 1 dma -1
 fwip0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         lladdr 6.e4.a.0.28.1b.50.36.a.2.ff.fe.0.0.0.0
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
 lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
         options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
         nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
 tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         options=80000<LINKSTATE>
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
         Opened by PID 1731

 The   /var/log/ppp.log   file contents:

 http://justpaste.it/1fcw

  Is there some standard sequence for the contents of /etc/ppp/ppp.conf ?
  I guess that may be the problem.

  The bridge mode works fine in my Windows XP setup. Nothing special
  to configure, just need to go to network connections and create a new
  connection, using username and password.
  In XP, I'm using DHCP too, so that I don't need to manually
  confgure interface IP address.

  That's why I'm sure that my network setup is not a issue. The issue lies
  somewhere in FreeBSD configuration or somewhere else.

  On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com> wrote:

  > On 16 Oct 2012, at 16:38, Jack <jacks.1785@gmail.com> wrote:
  >
  >> I 'll try mpd5. Thanks.
  >>
  >> Actually, I was concerned with userland ppp, becoz of the
  >> scenarios where we have a FreeBSD machine and the only
  >> way to connect to internet is an adsl modem in bridge mode
  >> (assuming the mode in modem, can't be  changed).
  >> In such case the only utilty is ppp, which can be of help.
  >
  > Ok, usually bridge mode implies PPPoE and mpd5 does PPPoE. Maybe
  > I'm missing your point.

  Mark,
  what I meant to say is when we have, say a fresh FreeBSD install, then
  the only service we have at expose is ppp. To be able to use mpd5, or
  other ports/packages we first need to connect to internet then only
  we can install/use mpd5. So, by default we are stuck at using ppp builtin
  with FreeBSD. :(

  By bridge mode I meant that <username> and <password>
  are to be provided to OS, rather than storing them inside adsl modem.

PS:  I sent this mail with /var/log/ppp.log contents yesterday but
       it seems that list moderator rejected the post due to its large
       size.
       So, I'm pasting the link for contents of /var/log/ppp.log

 Regards
--
Jack