Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 1999 22:04:52 -0800
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@mediaone.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Regarding Promoting KDE - Wait, why not GNUstep?

Okay, so KDE might be easy to use for newbies coming from Window
95/98/NT because it sort of looks alike, but why add an enviroment that
slows down the system?  I used to use KDE as my main window manager and
enviromnet, but I have since then switched to Window Maker which seems
to be a nice setup because of it's small memory usage and it's slick
looks.

GNUstep, which uses Window Maker as it's defualt window manager, seems
to be making some advancement adding Gnome and KDE support (with Window
Maker), and creating it's own OpenStep-like API.  GNUstep doesn't use
third party (at least not that I know of) software in order to create
it's enviroment.

The NextStep look is really nice can clean and now with Max OS X coming
out soon, it might get very popular with the Mac crowd.

I guess all GNUstep needs is a killer file manager, a suite of
applications like KDE, methods of making the rest of X more Next-like,
and other tid bits to make it more like a common desktop GUI. KDE is
probably alot farther ahead than the GNUstep team, but with more help
maybe it will move forward faster.

Any ideas?

Joey