Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:28:18 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apm on toshiba

> i just got a toshiba laptop [portege 660cdt] from work, and am
> planning to run -current...
>
> has anything been done with the apm on these to support dim
> backlighting, and disk spindown?

No.  You can hotkey through your power settings, and organise your
disk spindown with the BIOS setup, but if you want to let the disk spin
down you need to stretch the update time out further.

Basically, if you want to save power, take an active approach. 'zzz'
works fine, or close the lid and wind the update time out if you want
the machine to keep responding.

> has anyone had any experience with these laptops?  any pointers?
> anything to avoid?

I've been using a 220CDS, which is reasonably similar, for a while now.
For all that it's a custom-chipset unit, it's pretty solid.

> also, is the sound driver code supported on these?

I think the 660 still uses the Yamaha OPL-SAX hardware, so yes, it
looks like an MSS.  I quite often use MP3 audio as an alternative to
playing CDs, and I seem to recall having recorded stuff too.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\