Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2019 20:53:09 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java/openjdk11 fails in "configure"

On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:33:41PM +1200, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 17:48, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 09:29:53PM +1200, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm currently seeing the following build failures on java/openjdk11
> > > during the "configure" phase:
> > > [...]
> > > configure: Will use user supplied compiler CC=cc
> > > checking for cc... /usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc
> > > checking resolved symbolic links for CC... /usr/local/bin/ccache
> > > configure: Please use --enable-ccache instead of providing a wrapped compiler.
> > > configure: error: /usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc is a symbolic link to
> > > ccache. This is not supported.
> > > configure exiting with result code 1
> > > ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> > > Please report the problem to java@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
> > > "/construction/xports/java/openjdk11/work/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.3-7-2/config.log"
> > > including the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be
> > > a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
> > > (e.g. a /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop.
> > > make: stopped in /xports/java/openjdk11
> > >
> > > The build system (synth) has been configured to use ccache; and the
> > > last known successful build was prior to r505640.
> >
> > If you revert r505640 and r505653 does ccache work?
>
> If I revert r505640, the build succeeds with ccache enabled.

Thanks.

After reviewing things, I think that this working previously was unintentional.

I'll note that the Makefile for the port explicitly passes --disable-ccache
as a configure argument.  I'll also note the error message you're getting:

configure: Will use user supplied compiler CC=cc
checking for cc... /usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc
checking resolved symbolic links for CC... /usr/local/bin/ccache
configure: Please use --enable-ccache instead of providing a wrapped compiler.
configure: error: /usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc is a symbolic link to ccache. This is not supported.

If you remove the --disable-ccache from the configure args and instead add
a block like this below:

.if exists(${LOCALBASE}/bin/ccache)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--enable-ccache
.endif

does that do the right thing (after you remove the overrides of CC, etc.)?

How much does using ccache actually speed up the build?  Or to put it
another way, is the complexity worth it?

-- Greg