Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:12:42 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <Freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>
Subject:   Re: [Regression] SVN r244198 broke double-quotes in /etc/sysctl.conf*

Nevermind...

Recall that message...

I was testing on 9.x and that was the issue.

NO REGRESSION FOUND
--=20
Devin

On Nov 12, 2013, at 8:09 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> It appears as though SVN r244198 introduced a regression.
> One that is affecting HEAD and stable/10 (for upcoming 10.0-R)
> and was introduced 10 months ago (but does not appear to
> have made it into 9.x yet or even stable/9).
>=20
> The regression introduced by r244198 is that:
>=20
> Whilst "sysctl -f /etc/sysctl.conf" will parse parameters with
> quoted values...
>=20
> "service sysctl start" will not work with quoted values.
>=20
> It seems to me that /etc/rc.d/sysctl should be using "sysctl -f file"
> to be consistent.
>=20
> For example...
>=20
> cat <<EOF >> /etc/sysctl.conf
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=3D"0"
> EOF
>=20
> sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=3D1
> sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
> # reports 1
> service sysctl start
> # error: /etc/rc.d/sysctl: WARNING: unable to set net.inet.ip.forwarding=
=3D"0"
> # value unchanged
> sysctl -f /etc/sysctl.conf
> sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
> # value changed to 0
> --=20
> Devin
>=20

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.