Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:45:57 +0200 (EET)
From:      Iasen Kostov <ikostov@otel.net>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS functions does *NOT* check if they really have allocated any memory

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Ian Dowse wrote:

> In message <200211061619.gA6GJZ93002593@arch20m.dellroad.org>, Archie Cobbs wri
> tes:
> >Oops, you're right.. sorry for the misinformation.
> >
> >Sounds like a bug to me (did Iasen file a PR?)
>
> kern/38872 already exists, and I'm sure there is a much older PR
> that also describes this problem. Basically it is hard to fix because
> the errors are detected so deep within functions and macros that
> were never designed to correctly handle mbuf allocation failures.
>
> I think the most feasable solution would be to use libmchain or
> something like it, but even that is a huge amount of work. The
> workaround is of course just setting nmbclusters/nmbufs so high
> that they never run out...

  I don't think that is a proper way go around such bug. Thus when you are
DoS-ed how can you know how much mbuf you will need ?:). My problem
apeared at the moment I've tried to scan 192.168.0.0/16 with nbtscan.
Mbufs were exhausted for about 2-3 second. At that moment there was NFS
activity - So server crashed... Ok I won't do that again - but someone
else ? And how many parts of the kernel are afected by this problem.
  Raising nmbclusters/nmbufs at same scan with nbtscan will give my server
about 2-3 second more life. That is no good and if someone DoS-es you
(local user for example) no nmbclusters/nmbufs raising will save you.
  Can MGET really wait for memory when M_WAIT flag is used and not to
timeouts (I don't know howlong is this timeout, but system crushes at the
moment of first NFS operation , thus it should be < 10ms :) ?