Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:18:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any actual shipping ATM cards supported by FreeBSD 4.x and higher?

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> Fore systems web site dumps you into Marconi's site, and a search there
> doesn't find the word ATM.

Yeah, it was a pretty sad day when the Fore site changed from ATM products
to ... actually, I don't know *what* they are selling now. I hope
otherwise, but my gut tells me they are preparing to quietly abandon ATM.

> Efficient Networks page doesnt list the card on the products page any
> more.

I saw the Adaptec 2940 on pricewatch.  It uses the Efficient Midway SAR
and should probably be a simple or trivial modification to the hea code.
The natm (man 4 en) driver handles both Efficient and Adaptec cards,
so any differences should be noted there.

> So barring those 2, which are the only 2 listed in the release notes,
> where can I get ATM cards that will work?  Optimally, with SM fiber
> interfaces.

Shopper.com is pretty slow (search for "forerunner").  It just
showed that buy.com has the Fore PCA200E/OC3 for $620.  They also
list the SMF version for $1730.

Personally, I would rather get out my soldering iron and a junk (cheap)
part with an SMF module and replace the MMF with the SMF.  (Come to
think of it, I *DID* do this kind of exchange in the past - works great.)

If you don't mind using a driver outside the FreeBSD distribution,
you can use the Fore LE155 or IDT Nicstar cards.  Mark Tinguely has
a driver that works with HARP (http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~tinguely)
These cards are right now priced from $140 (UTP) to $450 (MMF).

If you have no luck at all finding what you want, let me know and
I'll get you hooked up with something :-)

All the best,

-Richard