Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:25:21 -0600
From:      RichardH <rh@storm2k.com>
To:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new subject- office stuff

At 12:14 AM 8/29/2002, Lawrence Sica wrote:
>On 08/29/02 02:05 AM, "RichardH" <rh@storm2k.com> wrote:
>  If openoffice is "fixed" what patches, etc. need
> > to be done in what order, etc. (seems to me if it is "fixed" it should not
> > need to be patched, sounds like MS crap)
> >
>Openoffice would be nice, ive used it on Solaris, not on FreeBSD.  Koffice
>does do word docs I cant say how well though.
>
>Catdoc  will extract text from word docs, it is in the ports.  Comes with a
>viewer too.
>
>As an aside I find it ironic that office v.x for the mac is a better quality
>product than ms office for windows.  At least from my use it seems to be.

Will delve further into koffice, it sets up easy, reloading whole sys now
so deciding what to use.
OO seems to be good for some people here and others cannot get it running.
Supposedly patching it fixes it but there is no clear documentation for the
exact steps to do it (in mail list archives at least). Will check catdoc,
just need to view "word" docs, can send replys, etc. in plain text. Any
additional info on OO would be helpful from ppl reading this and running it
successfully.