Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:45:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Weird message trying to install FreeBSD

I just got four brand new FreeBSD 2.2.8 CDs from Walnut Creek and started
to install FreeBSD on an assembled PC.  I inserted the Installation Boot
CD (1) into the IDE CD-ROM and booted from it.  Then in the kernel
configuration menu, I choose "Start kernel configuration in Visual Mode"
as instructed (this is the first time I try to install FreeBSD).  After
this, I select the following devices:

Storage:

	Floppy disk controller
	Matsushita/Panasonic/Creative CD-ROM
	(I do not know what CD-ROM the machine which was assembled in
        parts has.  It is said to be an IDE CD-ROM.  Maybe I should
        choose Mitsumi CD-ROM or sony CD-ROM)
	IDE/ESDI/MFM/disk controller
	IDE/ESDI/MFM/disk controller
	(I do not know why there are two duplicate entries. I guess it
        is harmless to have more than one drivers for the same device)

Network:

	DEC Etherworks 2 and 3 Ethernet adapters
	(The machine has a DEC tulip TCP/IP card)

Communications:

	8250/16450/16550 serial port
	8250/16450/16550 serial port

	(I guess they are needed for keyboard and mouse)

Input:
	PS/2 Mouse	       CONF
	Syscnos console driver CONF
	(The installation tutorial says these two conflicts are normal)

Now the top of the configuration screen shows only two conflicts that are
said to be normal. So I press a key to save and exit.  Now I get:

	Fatal trap 12 - page fault while in kernel mode.
	Reboot in 15 seconds

I tried the process again.  The only difference I made is to input -C at
the option: prompt to indicate CD-ROM.  But I got the same result.

I believe the installation should be hassle free.  Please point out the
errors I have made.  Thanks a lot.