Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 01:08:35 +1100
From:      Wendy Langer <hypatia@dingoblue.net.au>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   System hangs when installing via ftp

Hi there

I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.0 onto a machine via ftp from a=

local site.

I have tried several times so far. Each time, it downloads=
 somewhere
between a third and half the required files. Then it just stops!

I have tried both active and passive ftp modes.

One thing which concerned me was that the disk partition I am=
 trying
to install to is very small - only 120 Meg. (It's just an old 486=
 I'd
like to use as a router for sharing the cable modem connection we=

have.)

 I worried that perhaps it was running out of space during the
install, and that this was causing the hang,although it doesn't=
 give
any error message, it just stops transferring files. However, I'm=
 not
sure if this could really be the problem as the hanging is=
 occurring
at different points in the process. ie, The bin distribution is
divided into bin.aa, bin.ab, bin.ac, etc - one time it only got=
 as
far as bin.ai, another time it got as far as bin.cw, and mostly=
 it's
given up the ghost somewhere in the bin.b*

This is driving me crazy!

The other option for getting the files across would be to take=
 out
the hard-drive and put it into the windows machine which has a
cd0rom, put the files on it here, and then put it back into the
potential-router machine with the files on it, and use "install=
 from
a dos partition". However due to the extremely infuriating=
 placement
of one of the screws holding the drive in,(don't ask me why....)=
 this
looks like it is going to require taking the motherboard and all=
 of
the cards out which is not something I want to do!

One reason the partition is so small is that I have left the=
 windows
for workgroups system on it that it used to have, so that, if
necessary, I can put the install files on here by transferring=
 the
drive to another computer as mentioned, and then put it back in=
 the
router and use "install from dos partition". If I wiped this old=
 dos
partition out then I would have the whole 240 meg to play with,
however I only want to do this if I am fairly sure that the ftp
install will work. I don't want to be left having to make up a=
 whole
set of install floppies or something! I suppose I could try=
 taking
the cd-rom out of the windows machine and putting it in the 486=
 just
for the purposes of getting the installation done - this is not
something I've done before though and I'm not sure how difficult=
 it
would turn out to be.

Since I don't know whether the problem is one of space, or some=
 other
problem with the ftp sysinstall process, I haven't taken any=
 other
steps yet.

so I'm writing to ask for any comments or help. I can send more=
 info
as required,

Thank you

Wendy Langer (FreeBSD very-newbie, unix-in-general=
 fairly-newbie)

-- Wendy Langer, hypatia@dingoblue.net.au on 07/11/2000 at=
 1:07:35 am