Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:57:39 -0500
From:      eculp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "stable" ports?

Quoting Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>:

> Doug Hardie wrote:
>> On 29 March 2010, at 08:57, Ivan Voras wrote:
>>
>>> In some cases the burdens are obvious - the maintainer(s) would need to
>>> e.g. maintain three versions of the ports - a random example would be
>>> e.g. X.Org 7.0 for 6.x, 7.2 for 7.x and 7.4 for 8.x. Another would be
>>> keeping PHP 5.2 for 7.x and 8.x and having 5.3 in the future
>>> (CURRENT/9.x) branch.
>>
>> I am a bit concerned about your concept of maintain, being able to =20
>> build a port successfully, does not necessarily mean it will work =20
>> properly.  For example, qpopper (which I maintain) has an issue =20
>> where one feature does not work properly on 64 bit machines where =20
>> it works fine on 32 bit machines.  In addition, there are a number =20
>> of other machine types that are currently not heavily used but =20
>> might become so in the future.  Thats a lot of different =20
>> combinations of hardware and OSs to keep running for the maintainers.
>
> It was done (in Linux), hence it can be done. If all else fails and =20
> both the project and the maintainer cannot find suitable build and =20
> test machines, I'd suggest using ONLY_FOR_ARCHS, or doing the whole =20
> "stable" dance only for Tier 1 platforms (enumerated in =20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/committers-guide/archs.html =20
> to be i386, amd64, pc98). AFAIK from the ports POW, pc98 and i386 =20
> are too close to be considered separately.
>
> Virtualization (VirtualBox) may help maintainers test on the =20
> architecture they don't run natively.

IIRC, pcbsd uses both ports and package system that I have assumed was =20
similar to linux but I have never used it so I can't comment but it =20
would seem practical to work together if there is common ground. Their =20
site says:
--
The PBI Format

Part of making a Desktop Operating System that people feel immediately =20
comfortable with is ensuring that software installation is as easy and =20
familiar as possible. PC-BSD has taken this approach when developing =20
the PBI (Pc-Bsd Installer or Push-Button Installer) file format. =20
Programs under PC-BSD are completely self-contained and =20
self-installing, in a graphical format. A PBI file also ships with all =20
the files and libraries necessary for the installed program to =20
function, eliminating much of the hardship of dealing with broken =20
dependencies and system incompatibilities. PBI files also provide =20
developers and packagers with advanced scripting and user interaction =20
in an entirely graphical format, making the entire install procedure =20
similar to what a user would expect from other popular graphical =20
operating systems.
--

I personally like the way the ports work and will probably not change =20
to any type of packages but you never know.  I have never felt =20

Have a great day,

ed