Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 22:46:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tao.thought.org (Gary D. Kline)
To:        scrappy@hub.org (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What ever happened to... ?

According to Marc G. Fournier:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > 1.  The "BSD Consortium" or whatever proposed awhile back. Everyone
> > >     was so eager to donate $$$, but then it just died.
> >
> > I have no idea, though I've finally provided details on donating to
> > FreeBSD itself for those interested, see:
> > 	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/submitters.html
> >
> > (it's also chapter 17 of the handbook).
> >
> > I haven't collected enough to buy so much as a disk drive yet, but
> > hope springs eternal.  There are about 3-4 developers who could really
> > use development systems, and I'd certainly like to build them ones.

	[...]

> 	For instance...someone here mentioned something about t-shirts
> and whatnot?  That was the first I've ever heard about it, and the
> last.

		I'd go for a coffee mug with the BSD Kirk's daemon
		on it ((and be sure to avoid the environs around
		Dallas!));  or a tee- or a sweatshirt.

		But then you're getting into business, which I've
		learned the hard way, is _way_ over my head... .

		In April, '94 I saw the first issue of a small
		magazine on Linux.  Chances are that it did not
		survive, but if it did, why not join up with them.
		Together the *BSD world and the Linuxers are
		probably 1% of the market.  Separately? *ouch*.

> 	Or, how about a list of what is required, and approx. costs
> for it.  Break it down according to some sort of "development group".
>
> 	Then, individuals could support those aspects that are
> important to them.
>
> 	Personally, if proper accounting procedures were put into
> place so that one were kept informed abotu how much money came in,
> and how much went to different projects, I'd be willing to "pay for
> support" in the way of development on the OS.
>
> 	*shrug*  I don't know...how many ppl out there know enough to
> help Terry out with continuing the SMP development, but can't afford
> the hardware, or don't personally need it?
>
> 	Or, hey, here's one...who makes up the FreeBSD CDroms?  how
> much does it cost to make them?  how much of a markup do "resellers"
> put on them?  how hard would it be to setup a network of "distributors"
> that are associated with "the Project" who basically keeps a limited
> stock of the CDroms available for resale, with "all profits going back
> to the Project"?  Better yet, what would it take to make a CDrom
> distribution "in house" so that you could offer up to date
> distributions?
>
> 	And *takes deep breath* finally, how many ppl are using
> FreeBSD right now?  Does anyone have any statistics on it?

		I'd like to have a rough idea, too.  My SWAG is
		that it's about the same as the number of
		computer users who are in the upper 0.5 percentile.

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public access uNix