Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:50:04 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP/5.0 performance on single CPU?

| On the other hand, there are numerous new features (GEOM, TrustedBSD,
| OpenPAM, Snapshots + background fsck, etc) being implemented in 5.x that

It appears that most of these are features that are 'use as needed.'  In
other words, if I don't need them, I don't need to know about them.  On
the other hand, when moving to 4.0 there were issues with hardware
(specifically PC-cards and sound) that gave me a hard time for quite a
while.  These were less about new features and more about underlying
architecture and stability, and getting new code to work correctly.

Other than devfs (which I haven't investigated yet) it seems most of
these features are extras, not the basics, correct?  Other than SMP, of
course.

jm
--
There are only 10 types of people in this world: