Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:33:05 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Available disk space is negative ?

In the last episode (Mar 15), Jean-Yves Lefort said:
> This night i started a make buildworld on my router before going to
> bed; unhopefully, i forgot to check the available disk space before
> starting it, and when i waked up i saw the buildworld dead because of
> disk full.
>
> I issued a 'df', and oh surprise, my available disk space was
> '-85mb'. Negative value??? FreeBSD giving me a few extra megs for
> free? Waw :)

By default, 8% of all filesystems are reserved, to help with the
allocation of contiguous blocks for large files.  Root can dip into
this reserved space, though, and when it does, you will see "negative"
values in df.  When it hits 108%, even root will get disk full
messages.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com