Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:19:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        danderse@cs.utah.edu (David G Andersen)
Cc:        scott@computeralt.com (Scott I. Remick), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall questions

> > 4) How do I properly set up routes for a dual-homed firewall where both
> > sides are within the same class C?  This is the first time I've ever had to
> > play with routing and gateways.
>
>   Subnet them into /25's, or use RFC1918 addresses on the inside.

Variable length subnet them into a /30 between the firewall and the
outside router, use the rest inside.  I generally don't put more
than 32 or 64 IP's on one ethernet segment and don't use proxy arp
or number virtuals (see ARIN guidlines on IP space usage).

ifconfig_ed0="inet A.B.C.2 netmask 0xfffffffc"
ifconfig_ed1="inet A.B.C.33 netmask 0xffffffe0"

You can use the rest by routing them off someplace else later.  You should also
really do a proper IP space plan...

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net