Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:53:27 +0200
From:      =?windows-1252?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with sata drive

Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 05:04 PM 19/09/2004, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
>=20
>> Uro=9A Gruber wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>> I've notice that freebsd from beta4 does not recognize my sata 150 dr=
ive
>>> anymore. With beta3 it works now with beta4 or beta5 there's only=20
>>> udma33.
>>> I have ICH6 chipset, is there anything I can do. here is my dmesg out=
put

>> The ICH6 is not supported yet (ENOHW), so it will show up as a generic=
=20
>> ATA controller. However since all SATA controllers (at least until we =

>> get SATA-II) always run the interface at 150MB/s thats what you will=20
>> get no matter
>=20
> Hi,
>         Are there big differences between the ICH5 and ICH6 controllers=
=20
> ?  I have one of these boards and it seems to work fine if I add a def =

> for it in  ata-pci.h and ata-chipset.c. Also what does ENOHW mean ? I=20
> didnt find it in google.

The ich6 is one of the first chips to support the AHCI inteface which is =

sortof what Promise and others have had for some time in "proprietary"=20
versions.
That said, IIRC the ich6 has a compatibility mode where it will work as=20
just a good old ich controller, so adding the PCI id's should do it.

Anyhow I havn't been able to look into it since I dont have access to=20
any ich6 HW (E NO HW :) )..

-S=F8ren