Date:      Wed, 22 May 2019 20:39:40 +0900
From:      dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replacement for lang/phantomjs [deprecated]

> On May 22, 2019, at 19:33, Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hi!
>=20
>> The port lang/phantomjs is marked as deprecated / expired 2019-05-15. Is
>> there any alternative in the ports tree? I searched the net and found
>> https://slimerjs.org but it is not in the ports tree. (I don't have a
>> skill to port it and maintain it myself)
>>=20
>> One of my clients is using phantomjs thru some webapplication so I need
>> to find some replacement.
>=20
> I have a vague guess that selenium does something similar.
>=20
> https://docs.seleniumhq.org/

Not really.=20
phantomjs is like a headless browser client.=20
Selenium is web automation API and now a W3C standard implemented by browser=
s to support it. Version 3+
Earlier versions worked with older browsers via plugins or extensions but no=
 more, in part due to security issues and in part because W3C.=20

PhantomJS was often like a generic browser space you could test inside of an=
d it did have Selenium bindings.=20