Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:13:32 -0500
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot manager (dual boot, two disks, w2k, freebsd)

That's exactly the results I had with certain machines trying to use two
hard drives. After many tries, I resorted to a partitioning of the first
hard disk with Win2K in the first one. During sysinstall, select the Boot
Manager for the first drive and it'll work....

F1 Dos
F5 FreeBSD

On my pentium, it worked with two hard drives.... but not the others no
matter what.

At 11:41 PM 7.31.2001 +0000, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:37:13PM +0000, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
>
>> I've installed FreeBSD 4.3 on hard disk two in a box,
>> with Windows 2000 on hard disk one.  I chose not to
>> install the boot loader as I wasn't sure if it would
>> work.
>>
>> Will the boot loader that comes with FreeBSD be able
>> to reside on hard disk one, and dual boot hard disk
>> one and FreeBSD on hard disk two ?
>
>FreeBSD is the secondary slave, disk one is primary master,
>
>I've tried re-installing it, and installing the boot manager,
>but when I boot the machine the FreeBSD boot loader just
>comes up with gibberish ...
>
>	F1 FreeBSD
>	F5 Drive 1
>
>or
>
>	F1 ????
>	F5 Drive 0
>
>WTF.
>
>Totally confused.  I can boot into Windows 2000, but no
>way of booting into the FreeBSD disk.
>
>--
>Darren Wyn Rees			merlin@netlink.co.uk

Best regards,