Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:00:21 -0400
From:      Naief BinTalal <naief@cyfari.com>
To:        core-ix@hushmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preventing zombies to occure

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 02:19:28PM +0000, core-ix@hushmail.com wrote:
> Hello,

  Hi ix

> By definition zombie is a process entry in proc table that wasn't released
> by wait*() called form the parent's code. So all we need to do is to ensure

  A zombie can only occur with a *live* parent. If the parent exits, it's
orphaned children are automatically inherited by init (Pid 1) which is a very
well written program that will wait on any exiting child ( or even a bunch of
zombies inherited from a dysfunctional parent ).

  So your solution is already there in the system.

  The solution (if one is even desired :) should be along these line:

  Instead of discarding SIGCHLD which is issued when the child exits, it
should have a default handler which would check if indeed that is the case
and wait on that child (in other words what a good programmer should do
for himself :)

Naief