Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:18:40 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Experiences with RELENG_7

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 02:45:03AM +0200, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> After killing telak, the situation returned to normal. I restarted
>> telak, and a couple of hours later it happened again.
>=20
> Sounds like the issue is that telak is misbehaving.  The scheduler will n=
ot=20
> cause it to suddenly chew up CPU when it should be sleeping.

The thing is, why didn't it happen on 6-STABLE? The current version of
telak hasn't fundamentally changed in over a year. There are only two
possible causes that I can think of;

- gcc 4.x produces different code from gcc 3.x, and that causes the
  problem.
- changes to the kernel caused the problem.

Meanwhile I've started telak with 'nice -n 15', to see if that fixes the
problem. :-) I also reniced the X server to -10.

>> It also happened with cc1 when I was compiling a port. In that case the
>> situation returned to normal when that particular instance was
>> finished. That compilation was running in a terminal window that was
>> iconified at the time.
>=20
> This may be unrelated.  The new version of gcc has higher memory=20
> requirements, and it is common for it to access swap during compilation=
=20
> when the system is also busy running other tasks.  If you see it happenin=
g=20
> with cc again, make sure to check this.

I didn't see any swap usage, but I'll keep an eye on it next time I'm
rebuilding a big port. My desktop's CPU is usually not very busy, unless it=
's
running a port compile or a big TeX or povray job.
=20
>> In case I forgot to mention it, I deleted and recompiled all ports after
>> the 6->7 update to make sure there was no old cruft lying around. I am
>> running a custom kernel because I'm using GEOM_ELI. Do you need to see
>> my kernel config?
>=20
> What are you using GELI for?  If it's encrypting data used by those=20
> processes that will of course add to the load.

Only my /home partition is encrypted. The files that telak uses are on /usr.

roland
--=20

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f--