Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 2021 09:24:13 +0100
From:      Uwe Laverenz <uwe@laverenz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptops

Hi,

Am 16.02.21 um 19:42 schrieb LuMiWa via freebsd-questions:

> I did search FreeBSD Wiki/laptops but I didn't find the answer. I like
> to buy Thinkpad W541 or W550s (prefer W541) but I am not sure if will
> work on FreeBSD. I want it to connect external monitor which going
> through Nvidia graphics card which Optimus driver supposed it works on
> FreeBSD 13. I found that installation works on W520 and 530.

I've been using quite a number of Thinkpads and among them is a T520
with optimus hybrid graphics. With this model the docking station with
external monitors or an additional monitor without docking station never
worked exept with MS Windows. This was a real PITA for me...

So if I had the choice I would never ever buy an optimus system again.

cu,
Uwe