Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:16:14 -0800
From:      Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD/OS Emulation Status?

Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Tuesday,  2 February 1999 at 21:25:59 -0800, Thomas Stephens wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what the current status of BSD/OS emulation is?  My
>> understanding is ELF binaries (and shared libraries) aren't supported.
>> Is this correct and, assuming it is, are there plans to add such
>> support?
>
>That's been a lot of silence, hasn't it?

Yes, it seemed almost like a black hole. :-)

>I had thought that we would now be compatible with BSD/OS ELF, so to
>check it I dragged out my BSD/OS 3.0 CD-ROMs, which I thought
>contained ELF binaries, but what I saw was:
>
>/cdrom/7/bin/[:        Infocom game data (Z-machine 8, Release   0,
>/cdrom/7/bin/bash:     BSD/OS i386 compact demand paged executable (uses share
>d libs)
>/cdrom/7/bin/cat:      Infocom game data (Z-machine 8, Release   0,
>/cdrom/7/bin/chmod:    Infocom game data (Z-machine 8, Release   0,
>
>They definitely contain no ELF string.  What are these things?  Is
>that what you have?

I actually haven't got any BSD/OS CD-ROMs, but I think ELF support is
new with version 4.0, so 3.0 binaries would presumably be a.out.

With the addition of Linux compatibility, BSD/OS has obviously got some
way of distinguishing its ELF binaries from Linux ones, but I've no idea
how it does this, or if there's any similarity to FreeBSD's branding
scheme.

Thomas Stephens
tas@stephens.org