Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:42:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPC TopNote G serial ports not working

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a mostly noname laptop (IPC TopNote G model
> Green797). Most of the hardware works fine, including PCCard, sound and
> graphics.  I'm having trouble with the serial ports. I have tried 4.4-RELEASE
> ,
> but then upgraded to 5.0-CURRENT, thinking that the ACPI support might help.
>
> If I put the sio0 line in /boot/device.hints, dmesg displays this:
>
> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

Note that this means that interrupts are not working for this port.

> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 8250
>
> If I remove the sio line from device.hints, sio does not even appear in the
> dmesg output. The laptop has a Phoenix BIOS and offers Win95/98, Win2000 and
> Other as options for the "PnP" setting in the BIOS. I set it to "Other",
> because that makes the sound and USB support work, but tried the other two
> settings without success.

Make sure you haven't disabled the serial port in the BIOS, or configured
it for IR or something.  The most "correct" setting would be Win2000, but
as you've noticed, our PCI support doesn't handle this yet. 8(

> Any idea how I might get that damn serial port going? pnpinfo just displays
> this:
>
> Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
> No Plug-n-Play devices were found

pnpinfo is only relevant for ISA PnP devices; basically just old sound
cards, and not at all useful here.

> acpidump: DSDT is corrupt

You might try to get an ACPI dump via other means, but it looks like this
may be part of the problem. 8(