Date:      Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:20:53 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        'FreeBSD questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipfw lost its mind?

--On Friday, March 04, 2005 01:21:11 AM +0530 Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you block UDP?

First question would be - which direction?

I allow udp *to* port 53.  I allow *ip* outgoing, so any response to a dns
request would be answered.

> I am asking this because, I *used* do a block on all UDP except the DNS
> port and had exactly the same problem.

Very odd.  I'll give that a try.

Even though it doesn't make sense to me.  If my *first* rule is "allow ip
from x.x.x.x/32 to {server}" and I also have a rule that says "allow ip
from {server} to any", then I can't imagine why a restriction on udp would
interfere with that since "ip" includes both tcp and udp.

Besides the firewall has been working flawlessly for three years *with*
that restriction.  Makes me think that *something* in the firewall code
changed recently and got installed when I ran freebsd-update.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member