Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:14:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Scott D. Yelich" <scott@scottyelich.com>
To:        Jekyll <jekyll@netfallout.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: /dev/dsp: Device busy. (ESS Maestro-2E = 4p/0r)

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Jekyll wrote:
> Is ESD running? Is this while you're running gnome?

I'm running KDE, not gnome -- but that shouldn't matter. I am also not
running ESD.  I have downloaded ESD and looked at it, though.  It
doesn't seem to really be relevant at this point:

> For me, ESD runs and everything that wants to play something goes through
> ESD (ie: xmms outputs to ESD, not /dev/dsp). ESD is required with Gnome, so
> chances are if you're running Gnome, you're running ESD (otherwise you'd
> have a grossly long wait time for anything that is Gnome and uses sound to
> launch :).

It seems to me, then that ESD simply references underlying devices
to try to allow, perhaps, for mixing/multi-plexing...

My issue appears to be that the underlying device doesn't work. Rather,
when I upgraded to 4.1.1 from 4.1 because the maestro add-in for 4.1
didn't seem to work, I did get play support.  I *assumed* (I know, I do
apologize) that I'd also get support for recording!  It didn't occur to
me that I was only get 1/2 support.  Of course, I'd surely rather have
play support only than record support only  :->

I found about 4 drivers for ESS Maestro-2E (which, btw, is the  chip I
unfortunately have -- since I'm not sure I mentioned it in my original
message).  Unfortunately, two of them appear to be for linux. OSS does
seem to have support for the ESS Maestro-2E -- at least when I install
their demo, it recognizes the Maestro.  They also have a  program that
can record -- but, alas, accessing /dev/dsp when OSS is installed gives
"Input/Output Error" ... their tech support doesn't seem to grasp  the
significance of this and insist that I use their recording program.

> -Matt Bertrand
> PS - Scott.. don't know if it is me or not, but my mailserver wasn't
> able to get a MX record for your domain.

DNS may have been having problems.  I was unable to get any resolution
for cent.saitama-u.ac.jp at all last night.  Although I paid internic
over $300 to renew my domain for a decade, it does appear that it will
come up for renewal payment this month, but it should still be working
now.  Those thieves!  :->  In the meantime, can you get an MX now --
without changing anything, I was able to get an MX record from several
offsite hosts.

I did get an answer back from Taku that recording isn't supported with
his driver.  Of course, this seems to only be verification of what
is already known:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Oct  2 2000 02:10:21
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> at I/O port 0x1400 irq 5 (4p/0r channels duplex)

0r = 0 channels for recording.

I briefly spoke with someone who said he did much of the work on the
new-pcm stuff.  He says that there are stub drivers somewhere.  Although
I'm not a device driver coder -- I will try to hack at something.  I
lost the guy's email address and he's not on the chat system where we
chatted.  I hope to find that stub driver (myself) soon.

I found esm2.txt and esswindump.zip ... both might be useful to someone
who is more able to write drivers:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Braun_Homburg/esm2.txt
http://home.t-online.de/home/Braun_Homburg/esswindump.zip
http://home.t-online.de/home/Braun_Homburg/essm2e-alsa.tar.gz

See also:
        http://www.zabbo.net/maestro/maestro-20000128.tar.gz
        http://people.redhat.com/zab/maestro/
        zab@zabbo.net

This guy says he has contacts at ESS and could get a driver writer in
contact with them.  Etc.

However, he has a driver for linux and I would think it could be
converted right over for freebsd.  His linux driver also has great
documentation in the code.

Scott