Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 12:51:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Daniel Geske <danielgeske@gmx.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh root login

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Daniel Geske wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD 4.5 Rel. machine up running fine. Now, on the console I
> can log in fine. Log ins via ssh only work for users other than root. How
> can I log in as root using ssh?
> I checked "hosts.allow" and it didn't look like there's any place to set
> such thing in "sshd_config"

Why not login and su for more accountability?  If you really want root to
login over the network, change your sshd_config:

mike@mojo{mike}$ grep Root /etc/ssh/sshd_config
PermitRootLogin no

Change 'no' to 'yes' and HUP sshd if needed.

Later,
-Mike

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  --Benjamin Franklin