Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:47:45 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:29:15AM +1100, Peter Jeremy scribbled:
| On 2000-Nov-14 15:08:06 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
| >Has anybody run a 486 or 386 under current recently ?
|
| X on a PRE_SMPNG 486 is painful - mouse movements no longer make
| the X pointer move in real time.  I haven't noticed the seeding
| issue (probably just luck).

PRE_SMPNG does not have the /dev/random seeding issue.

You actually expected X to run well on a 486? :-)

| >What is the consensus ?
|
| I think 386/486 remains a significant market and would not like to
| see support dropped.  I'd go so far as to suggest that if -current
| does drop support for the 386/486, the then-stable version will need
| to be actively maintained indefinitely to provide continued support.

I do not really think the latest XFree86 versions were designed
with running 386/486 in mind. 386/486 is still a market, but
not many people try to build an embedded system with a full X
and tools.