Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:01:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org, kse@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: Not providing static libraries (libkse/libpthread)

In message: <20030326214421.GF11320@dhcp01.pn.xcllnt.net>
            Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> writes:
: On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:04:42PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
: >
: > Also, in a lot of functions, there are:
: >
: > 	if (_thread_initial == NULL)
: > 		_thread_init();
: >
: > I'd like to be able to get rid of these eventually and perhaps have
: > some magical way of getting it called automatically when the library
: > is loaded.
:
: You may be able to piggyback on the C++ static object initialization
: by utilizing _init() and _fini(). I don't think archive is different
: from shared in that respect for C (ie they both don't have what _init()
: provides and have _fini() in terms for atexit()). But it works in both
: cases if you add some C++ related magic (See also the .init and .fini
: ELF sections).

Yes.  I was going to make that same point.  C++ static object init
always happens, static or dynamic.  And has since FreeBSD has
supported ELF...

Warner