Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 02:23:37 +0200
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finger and getpwent

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 02:49:12PM -0700, Tom wrote:
>   I hope you realize that commented usersnames have not been historically
> allowed in UNIX.

The FreeBSD manpage to passwd(5) explicitely mentions this case:

     Lines whose first non-whitespace character is a pound-sign (#) are com-
     ments, and are ignored.

NetBSD 1.3, RedHat Linux 5.1, IRIX 5.2, SunOS 5.5 do not mention
"commented usernames" etc. in their manpages.

I am not sure how/when the sentence mentioned above made its way
into the manpage, but as it seemed to have worked before (see
Paolo's original Mail), I guess the manpage is correct and
therefore getpwent() is broken somehow...

--
bye, logix

<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet