Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:25:52 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest033@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        rhillery@hawksi.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booteasy & mbr

I don't know anything about your booteasy and mbr question, so=20
I'm skipping that part.

On Friday 11 October 2002 07:41 pm, Hillery appears to have written:
[...]
>   OH, BTW, will openoffice 1.0.1 and/or mozilla 1.0.1 run on BSD --
> Again, I'm kinda new to this end, but I downloaded the linux versions
> (yeah, I know that may be the prob... BSD isn't linux, which is great
> because I can't stand that penguin...) and after tar -zxf then trying
> install I got errors ELF <0> or something like that.  & Yes, I su'd
> to root...

In theory, both work fine.  I've used Mozilla on and off through=20
various versions and it works.  I installed OpenOffice yesterday=20
but haven't had time to actually try to use it.

You should just install them from the ports instead of trying to use=20
the raw Linux versions. =20

/usr/ports/www/linux-mozilla  or /usr/ports/www/mozilla
and
/usr/ports/editors/openoffice =20

If you aren't familar with the ports system, read "man ports", but=20
to get you started:
cd /usr/ports/www/linux-mozilla && make install && make clean=20
is one way to do it.

> Any ideas would be nice here, too.   Thanks

OpenOffice requires that you install linux-jdk and the FBSD native=20
jdk, which each require a manual download from Sun.  So don't=20
do what I did and leave the build running unattended for several=20
hours and expect it to be done when you come back!

I think you need to use the Linux version of Mozilla if you want to=20
be able to use Linux Netscape plugins with it.  There aren't many=20
FreeBSD plugins available.

- Bob